Business in the front, party in the back.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Cooking with Britt - Crispy Black Bean Tacos

I saw this recipe in the Seattle PI months and months ago and thought it looked fantastic, so I made it (with some tweaks, a la Britt) and fell in love. And, like many initial infatuations, I then forgot all about it. But I found myself dreaming about crunching into these a few weeks ago, bought the ingredients and waited for the right night - you know, one where I actually have time to put multiple ingredients together and cook it all up. On Christmas Eve, since Sean and I were staying home in the interest of keeping the ladybugs cheerful for Christmas Day, I wanted to make something special for the two of us to share and Sean suggested these tacos. I almost drooled like Roscoe but refrained from spinning excitedly in a circle and spraying slobber everywhere.

Then, I found myself talking about the recipe with a co-worker and realized that it's one of those great recipes I just have to share with others. And since I have a forum for that kind of stuff (mwuh-ha-ha-ha!!), here it is!

Crispy Black Bean Tacos with Feta and Cabbage Slaw
15-ounce can black beans, drained
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 white or yellow corn tortillas
3 tablespoons lime juice, fresh is best
5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
2 cups coleslaw mix
2 green onions, chopped
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Ground black pepper, to taste
Hot sauce, to taste - I like Tapatio best for this application
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese, Cojito would work too.

In a small bowl, combine the beans, cumin and salt. Use a fork to partially mash.
Divide the mixture between the tortillas, spreading it evenly over 1 side of each. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the lime juice and 2 teaspoons of the olive oil. Add the coleslaw mix, scallions and cilantro, then toss well. Season with pepper and hot sauce. Set aside. (Make two batches because once you taste it you'll want to eat this stuff all on it's own, and then you won't have enough for the tacos.)

In a large skillet over medium-high, heat the remaining 3 teaspoons of olive oil. Add the tortillas in a single layer, bean side up, in batches if necessary, and cook for 1 minute. Fold the tacos in half, then cook for about another minute per side, or until golden brown.

Fill each taco with some of the coleslaw mixture and top with a sprinkle of feta cheese. Add more hot sauce here if you want.

I also topped with some diced avacado. Because I can.
I'm drooling again. *slurp*

No comments: