Business in the front, party in the back.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Cooking with Britt - Coffee Cake Blueberry Muffins

I needed a really, really, really good blueberry muffin recipe, having been exasperatingly furstrated with all of the flat, tasteless attempts at past recipes, so I turned to my favorite resource of all: FoodNetwork.com. Not only do they have recipes from people who are good enough to have their own television show, everything is rated by people like you and I so I know someone not only tried it successfully, but thought it was good enough to take the time to come back and let other people know. Best of all are the comments that people leave, especially the notes they make about the things they changed and suggestions for improvements, which I can absolutely appreciate.

So, here is the wildly successful recipe I found, with the a la Britt edits. Oh, and in case you wondered, hardly any of my recipes could be considered "light", this one included. Butter just makes baking better!!

Coffee Cake Blueberry Muffins

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
8 ounces (about 1 cup) sour cream
1/4 cup milk
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (Prep by tossing with a few tablespoons flour. Trust me.)

Preheat the oven to 350. Place 14 paper liners in muffin pans. (I tried 13 once - it didn't work.)
Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla, sour cream, and milk.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to batter and stir by hand until just incorporated. Don't overstir. This batter is thick and beaters steal half of it, so I used a spoon. Fold in the blueberries carefully at the very end.

Fill each muffin cup just over the top, (it's a thick batter, so pile it on!) and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the muffins are lightly browned on top. The pan with less muffins will cook faster so keep an eye on it.

*I tried a streusel topping on one attempt at these, because who doesn't like struesel, but it kept the muffins from rising as well, so I nixed that. Follow your heart on this one.

No comments: