Business in the front, party in the back.

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Ugh.

I have a cold. It started with sinus congestion, tender glands and a sore throat on Monday. Now it's gone to my chest. I feel like crud. Ugh.

**Update**

I had a hard time sleeping last night, mostly because I couldn't breathe out of my nose, but every time I became aware of it, my chest would get tight and I'd end up coughing until my lungs burned. When I finally got up, I was achy and miserable. I even fell back asleep during my 8 a.m. monitoring.

My nurse, Robyn, said that since I was coughing, they'd have to "take droplet precautions" to keep from exposing the other patients to whatever I have. This basically means that before someone who is going to touch me can enter the room, they have to put on a paper gown, gloves and mask. And if I leave my room, I have to wear a mask the whole time and be sure to wash my hands thoroughly and regularly. And if I have any visitors, they either have to put on all the gear before coming in the room or they have to wear a mask when they leave until they get out of the building.

Because of the all media hype and attention the H1N1 flu virus is getting (Swine flu to laypeople, but the new "thing" is that it might be offensive to some people so we shouldn't call it that *sheesh* Are those people actually pigs in disguise? Don't answer that.) I have to get my nose swabbed in a few minutes and in a few hours we'll know if it's just a run of the mill cold or flu or something more. I'm not worried.

They've offered me everything from Tylenol to Sudafed. My perinatologist said that nothing is really going to affect the babies, but nothing is really going to help me feel much better anyway. It's always surprising the variety in opinions we've encountered throughout this whole experience.

Luckily I have a bit of an opportunity to get some rest recently, and full access to lots of liquids, so I'll get over it soon. And Sean brought me a box of Kleenex with lotion, so my nose is already happier!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am sorry you are not feeling well!!!

Unknown said...

No fun... luckily you had a bunch of relaxation and bed time planned... wink, wink. Hope you feel better soon!!