Business in the front, party in the back.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Day 2

I woke up around 6, slowly and peacefully, to the sunlight streaming through my windows and baby B kicking away. If the smell of fresh-brewed coffee had been in the air I would have pinched myself to make sure I wasn't in heaven. : )

They have what they call "room service", which is a menu of items I can choose from and have brought to my room when I'm ready, instead of having a set time and meal decided for me. Unfortunately they brought the wrong thing this morning, but at least vegetarian, and it was clearly hospital food. ("Breakfast potatoes" apparently means deep-fried tater tots the consistency of sun-aged rubber.) We'll try again for lunch!

My room is across from the little kitchen, which is stocked with some simple snacks like cheese and crackers, and beverages like milk, water and an ice machine. There is also a large fridge we're welcome to use for our personal food (which is good because it may be awhile until they can get a mini fridge in my room), and a microwave.

I haven't ventured far from my room, although I'm assured I can go down to the cafeteria and the coffee shop. I've spent any awake time I've had so far either being on the monitors or working on the laptop, and figure that's pretty much how my routine is going to go.

I'm a little bit lonely, but mostly because I know it will be so long until I can be back home. I gave Roscoe a big cuddle before I left and walked barefoot on the lawn for a few minutes. Cooter was off making the rounds in the neighborhood, but we'll see if he really notices my absence - it is mole season after all. I tried not to cry, but it's an emotional thing to leave for so long and a few tears slipped out. Sean stayed until about 9, but with the drive home, showering, and needing to get up before 4 a.m. for work, he must be extra sleepy today. I'm not sure if I can convince him that skipping a few days a week visiting me will be just fine, but I really want him to take care of himself, physically and mentally, as much as possible. He's such a trooper with all of this.

So that's where things stand at the moment. I'll keep the updates coming!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahh look at that cute mama belly!! Do you get to take any field trips? Maybe a park near by? Hang in there!!

NanaHess said...

we have a completely extra mini fridge you can borrow, stainless steel even, waist high, its a beauty! seriously, I can arrange to get it up north if you guys want. only sitting in my tv room to save me a trip downstairs for a cold beer...I mean ice cold diet drink.

Anonymous said...

I know that this is tough - but what a reward at the end! Love you all, G'Ma