Business in the front, party in the back.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

4 months!

Well, technically 4 months was October 8th, but our appointment wasn't until yesterday.

The girls weights  were..*drumroll please*

Lilah 9 lbs 11.4 oz
Charlotte 10 lbs 0 oz

Double digit weights at one time seemed so far away (about as far away as my own potential for double digits) but they've been reached! We'd been saying that Charlotte felt heavier than her sister and this confirmed it.

Dr. Dunn went down the list of milestones that they should be hitting and we said yes to nearly every one! He said that the girls are at the low end of the bell curve for being 4 months old, they're still on the curve, which was more than is to be expected from preemies. He even said that they're doing a few things that he doesn't see from "regular" 4 month-olds. Some of the items: reaching for items in front of them, grasping items in front of them, tracking 180 degrees, holding their heads up all the way when on their bellies, turning their heads when on their bellies, pushing up with their arms when on their bellies, recognizing their names, turning toward sounds, making more than just crying sounds, rolling over in both directions (not always intentional, but it happens!), smiling and laughing, holding head without wobbling. Check-check on all!

We kept saying yes and I felt like Dr. Dunn might not be believing us, potentially seeming like over-eager parents, but when he laid Lilah face-down on the bed she pushed up with her arms, raised her head and looked him in the eye. It was pretty gratifying to have her show off. He did have to help her a little by holding down her legs so they didn't fly up in the air to off-set the amazing weight of her enormous head ("It's like an orange on a toothpick!"), but imagine what she could accomplish if her head was in a closer ratio to the rest of her!

To put it in perspective: their weights were about 0.3 percentile, heights 3rd percentile, heads 30th percentile. No joke.

We (Sean, me and Dr. Dunn) all give a lot of the credit to Nanntastic Cindy for all the great work she does with them! Yay!

The bottom line is that they are happy, healthy little girls who are doing wonderfully. Our goal for our December 6-month Well Visit is tripod-sitting, where there legs are in front of them and each arm is forward and supporting their upper body. Can they do it?

In other news, I rocked at the EMOMs sale this weekend. I was a little stressed because it took me longer than I planned to get out of the house, no surprise there but it was mostly because they (and thus I) slept until 7:30 after their 3 a.m. feeding, so I got started a lot later than I planned. So I got to the sale, drenched, at 9:15 and saw about 30 other members already shopping and another 200 non-members waiting in the downpour for the 10:00 public entry.

My first stop was to the big-ticket items: furniture. I saw a cute white crib, all taken apart, and flagged down someone from the "holding area" to put my name on it and take it out of the sale area. My mom asked me to keep an eye out for a nice looking crib, perhaps two, and this one was cute, in good condition, looks like it will convert to a toddler daybed, and only $125! For those not in the know, this is a screaming deal. Screaming. The helpers moved the headboard and I saw another headboard behind it. Wait. Is that two (2?!) cribs? I want them both!! I quickly moved to the mattress section, pointed to the two highest quality ($40 each), and said, and those, too. Walked over to the baby gates ($5 each), pointed to two and then hauled over an immaculate papasan-style swing ($30) and added it to the pile. I felt like a rich woman with personal shoppers!

I had unfortunately forgotten all my binkies in my haste to leave the house and the girls were quickly losing patience, so I headed over to clothes to see what kinds of deals I could find. Now, this sale was in the Bellevue Community College gym, which is essentially two basketball courts, and there were about 8 racks of clothes that spanned the entire width of the gym. That's a lot of clothes and I didn't have a lot of time, so I focused on sizes the girls could wear right now. The beauty of the EMOMs sale is that the sale items tend to come in two's, so I found matching long-sleeved T-shirts in pink and purple ($2), matching fleece sweatsuits and coordinating onesies in pink and purple ($5), jeans($2), and, to make my mom happy for the holidays, matching extravegant party dresses ($10 each). Rock. On.

I had to send Sean back for part of the cribs, but I loaded the rest up and considered it a highly successful day.

Later in the weekend, I had a little photo shoot in the living room for the girls. I got about 80 shots, but only posted the 10 best on Picasa:


From Charlotte and Lilah together


From Charlotte and Lilah together


From Charlotte and Lilah together

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are a GREAT mom!! You should be very proud that you accomplished the big sale without any help... You Go Girl!!