Business in the front, party in the back.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

31 days old

Not a lot of changes to report today except that Lilah and Charlotte both weigh 4 lbs 11 oz - and Lilah is a few grams heavier! Both girls had eye exams today which involved eye drops and holding their eyelids open so the retina could be examined. Little did we know that babies tend to get tired and have a hard time eating for up to a day after the test, which Lilah sure enough did. If we had been told this was a possibility, we would have asked them to wait so we could get them tested by their pediatrician after their release, which was the original plan. They will also change Lilah's nutritional supplements once she is eating normally again, so all that puts her back to at least Friday to be released. These delays are ticking me off.


To top it off, one of the nurses kept giving us a hard time about not having the type of clothing that she preferred. We brought in onesies, both long and short sleeved to layer, pants, hats and socks. The nurse yesterday was excited about these new options, but today's nurse wanted sleep sacks and heavy clothing. But then she wouldn't let it go. I was already upset about the delay with Lilah and she kept harping over and over again about the clothing issue. And over and over again. I finally cracked and told her - "This is what we have. We brought it all in. There is nothing more and there isn't going to be." But then she kept trying to convince me. I said, very angrily, "I get it, but we don't have anything like that. I've looked all over and no one is selling the heavy stuff right now - I've been to Target, JC Penney and Babies R Us and I can't find anything. This is what we have. This is all we have." The other nurse stepped up and told her that now wasn't a good time to be talking about this, since I was starting to cry because I was so upset and trying to keep it together without hurting this woman. Who the eff cares about whether the clothes are perfect? The girls have clothes that fit and blankets and they're keeping warm. I'm not going to create a wardrobe out of thin air filled with things they'll wear twice before outgrowing, just so this woman has her standards met. And I'm tired of arguing about it with some woman whose job I do every afternoon anyway. If she brings it up again, I won't be held accountable for my actions. Grrrrrrr.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Go Britt... you don't have to take that!!! sorry the Lilah isn't home yet, but now maybe they will be able to come home together??

Anonymous said...

You just remind her that YOU are the mother Britt-and you are quite capable of deciding what is best for your daughters clothing.

Mel and Clayton said...

It would seem if this nurse has done this everyday for however many years she'd figure it out without giving you a bunch a grief! Should we send Brian over for an intervention :-)

Kristina Rutledge said...

1. The nurse has no right and I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

2. Evey prefers warm sleepers and you are correct, they aren't anywhere in any of the stores. I've been checking. Don't waste your time looking. Blankets will work just fine. They are in a hospital for God's sake.