Business in the front, party in the back.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Crazy Cooter: My personal memoirs
Chapter Two - Permanent Damage

Cooter's entry -

After a few weeks of settling into my new home, I realized I had the world at my fingertips. It was a remarkable feeling, really, knowing that with a small noise I could bring the whole house running or that the slightest action would bring peals of laughter to the room. I was on stage. They watched my every move for hours. I had found my calling at last.

At first I would waddle from room to room, occasionally going for a short sprint, but as my strength and balance improved, the sprints became longer and soon I was running to each destination. Of course, my agility and stopping capability were not at their height yet, which led to a variety of errors. I ran quite quickly into the sliding glass door, but from then on I stopped and checked before trying to go outside again. I also failed to negotiate corners very well, having to stop and turn before continuing on my way.

But by far my worst injuries were not my own fault. I was a tiny kitten in a house filled with powerful and negligent giants.

One evening I crawled into bed with the giants and cuddled snugly next to the female's shoulder. The next thing I knew, she woke up suddenly, grabbed the corner of the blankets and whipped them away from her, tossing me against the wall in the process. The thud my body made could be heard across the house. I gave a long startled squeak and sat there bewildered. She immediately picked me up, undoubtedly aggravating the serious injuries I already suffered. I'm sure her heart was in the right place, but just to ensure she didn't wake up suddenly anymore, I decided to keep her up as long as possible at night using my claws and teeth to nip at any exposed skin. I must say I enjoyed it immensely.

Just a few days before, I watched the female giant open the silver door of the large box in the kitchen. Curious about what the giants do in there, I crept closer and peered in. My view was quickly gone however, because the light went off as she closed the door. Little did she know, my entire body was still in the way of that door, keeping it from closing entirely. Luckily, my head, crushed from the weight, kept most of the bodily injuries to a minimum by preventing the door from squeezing my tiny little ribs. I gave another panicked and painful squeal and at that moment the door bounced away and closed yet again! Would this torture never end? She came to what I will call my rescue, although I'm not sure it can be called rescue when she caused the situation in the first place. The male giant cradled me in his arms for a few minutes while the white of my eye turned red and the swelling ensued.

It is still unclear whether the damage was permanent - due to my youth, who knows what potential I missed out on.


The next chapter: Bonding with the "Roscoe".

No comments: