Business in the front, party in the back.

Monday, September 21, 2009

Selling out

In the next few days, you might notice something different about our blog: ads.

I resisted for a long time because I post for friends and family (and their friends, family, colleagues, pets and assorted other associates) and because I hate ads. Hate ads. Especially the ones that use key words from the site as though the person were actively promoting that item.

But, word has it that a lot of people read this blog; people that I've never met but who hopefully now feel like they know us a little. And we now have twins. And between diapers, formula, childcare and medical costs, the budget is running pretty tight for the foreseeable future. And I do offer some semblance of entertainment for you, yes? (Just say yes. I don't need to know the truth.)

So, I gave in. Maybe the ads will force me to be more interesting/humorous/blog-a-riffic so you're more likely to visit our site regularly. Maybe that will mean that you'll pass us along to your other friends. Who knows? Maybe we'll earn 13 cents a month and I'll take it down because my integrity is worth more than that. How much is my integrity worth, you might ask? Well, AdSense won't disclose how much I can expect to see, so right now it's on a sliding scale.

Either way, don't be alarmed by the links you'll see soon. Just click on them and consider it a small way you can keep the girls and Roscoe fed and clothed. Well, we don't actually clothe Roscoe except for his Seahawks jersey and the uber-hilarious paw protectors for when he's around barnacles, but you get the idea.

And now for my next assignment for you: Who reads this thing, anyway? I'm super curious. If you get a chance, could you either add yourself as a "follower" (there is a section on the left side here called "Followers" where you can click "Follow this blog") or write me a comment to this post to let me know who you are? Perhaps something like, "I don't want to give my name, but I'm a friend of your mother and I check the blog weekly. I want more pictures, you slacker." Or maybe, "I work with your friend, (name here), and I only check this blog because she always leaves it up on our shared work computer. But I guess that counts." You get the idea.

And, for those who want me to bring back Cooter's biography, I'll have to decline for awhile. Cooter (oh crap, I'm starting to cry just writing this because I haven't fully admitted this until now) isn't with us any longer. One day about a month ago he just didn't come back home. He's not a roamer and he's neutered and microchipped, so we don't think he's off gathering new material for his book. There is a large greenbelt in our neighborhood and there have been coyotes spotted and heard howling. We think that he's gone for good. It breaks my heart because he was the coolest cat ever and only 2 years old and he deserved to pass away in his sleep 20 years from now on top of his scratching post perch, dreaming about catching the heron that eats all the goldfish in our neighbor's pond. Instead, I picture him surprised and scared and in pain and it hurts me to think I couldn't be there for him. We miss him so much that Sean and I both have dreams that he comes back and waits for us in the house, but then we wake up and know that he's not really coming back. So, Cooter's entries are probably retired, but rest assured that I'll eventually come up with another regular entry for your reading pleasure.

6 comments:

Kimberly (Chichester) Brown said...

Britt - Since you're soliciting a list of readers, I'll be the first to respond. I found the blog through your facebook page and I love it! It's a little insight into the wonderful person I used to know and I love that you tell it like it is. You're real and don't make it all sparkly but your love of your family completely comes through even on the bad days. I feel like I have a sense of a sliver of what it might be like someday when I have kids. And maybe I'm vicariously living through you since I don't have them (yet)! Keep it up! (And I'll click on the links so you can buy one extra diaper next month!)

G-MA said...

You go girl - whatever it takes. Ms. Brown is right, you are real. I will continue to be a faithful viewer, you are talking about my granddaughters after all!

NanaHess said...

That makes me sad, Cooter is the reason I have this link. Sparkles sent it to me almost 2 years ago when he couldn't verbalize the story of how you lost your ring and I couldn't stop laughing that he named his cat Cooter :(

Allyson Waggoner said...

Hi Britt--
You don't know me, but I'm a mom of twin girls as well. Ours were born 5 weeks ago, and I got to your blog through Costco employees where my husband works. I've loved following your story since you are going through similar situations with two kids...so thanks!

Jacqui Lott said...

Hi Britt,
My husband Phil worked with Sean at Costco. I enjoy reading your blog and hearing about your twins. Our baby Brooklyn was born on August 6th so I can really relate to your blog, but I can't even imagine having twins! They are beautiful and I am happy for you and Sean! Sorry about your cat. :(
~Jacqui

Momma La La RN said...

Hi Britt!
You don't know me, but I found your blog via an RN that works at a local ER that I do to work at... I have been reading since you were admitted to UW way back when...
I am a mom of a 14 month old daughter and don't know how you all do it with two! Way to go.....